Neighborhood Notes – December 2023

By Jill Riebesehl

Highlights from the Hosford-Abernethy Neighborhood Association’s (HAND) November Board meeting included attendees hearing from Jan Zuckerman, representing a group alerting Portland to what would happen in event of a major earthquake. On a six-mile stretch of the Willamette’s west shore lies the Critical Energy Research Infrastructure HUB, an industrial development that holds more than 90 percent of all liquid fuel stored for use in our state. In addition to severe infrastructure damage, research from Portland State University describes widespread danger from hazardous plumes and vapor clouds. Zuckerman is asking our Board to sign onto a letter addressed to decision-makers statewide outlining urgency and soliciting action. So far, 30 neighborhood associations have signed on. The Board agreed to sign the letter.
As part of a brief report by the Clinton Triangle Oversight Committee, we learned of a $200,000 allocation from the city by way of ameliorating the large temporary shelter’s effects on HAND, Brooklyn and the Central Eastside Industrial District. We briefly discussed possible uses of the money and will take up the issue in the new year. We welcome suggestions.
The Board agreed to spend $275 to do the paperwork necessary to set up HAND as a 501(c)3 non-profit, tax-exempt organization.
The effort to establish a small sanctuary, or tiny village, off SE Division St., two doors west of New Seasons, has been slow-going. As of now, the Avalon project has received conditional permits from the city and is awaiting one other entity’s sign-on.
We heard from designers for DAO Architecture about plans for a residential/commercial building at the corner of SE Lincoln St. and 12th Ave.
The HAND Board usually meets all but two months out of the year, December and August. We will not hold a meeting in December this year; our next meeting will be in January.

Montavilla Neighborhood Association
By Louise Hoff

Montavilla Neighborhood Association has elected some new faces to our Board: Kat Moss, Chair (, Laura Mulligan, Vice Chair (, Spencer Knowles, Secretary and Communications Chair (, Sarah Hartzel, Treasurer (, Scott Simpson, Land Use & Transportation Chair (, Elisabeth Litster, Member-at-Large (, Rick Reynolds, Member-at-Large (, Kristina Perry, Member-at-Large ( and Louise Hoff, Member-at-Large/Parks Chair (
Members are hoping to have more public meetings. Some are interested in grants for street art, events, mini parks on vacant lots, art walks and other activities. Others are hoping for crosswalks, stop signs, zoning changes and speed bumps. Still others would like to have more neighborhood participation in how our neighborhood welcomes and/or manages houseless services. We are all volunteers and hope more of our neighbors will get involved.
Please email us, join the mailing list or attend a Board meeting on the second Monday of the month at 6:30 pm. We hold the meetings online via Zoom to make attendance easy and accessible. Audio recordings from previous meetings are available on our website, The MNA also hosts social and informative gatherings throughout the neighborhood; check the calendar for details.

Mt. Tabor Neighborhood Association
By David Petrozzi

MTNA hosted our last monthly meeting of the year November 15 via Zoom. We received an informational presentation and then endorsed a letter to the governor raising awareness about critical energy infrastructure located along the river in Portland; and we also voted in support of a neighbor with matters related to land use.
MTNA will hold a strategic planning meeting in December to get organized for events and outreach in the upcoming new year; look for details on our website. You can also join your neighbors and create an even better Mt. Tabor at our next monthly meeting, Wednesday, January 17, 2024 via Zoom. Find a link to all of our meetings under the “Meetings and Events” tab on our website,

North Tabor Neighborhood Association
By Kim Kasch

The North Tabor Neighborhood Association (NTNA) met November 21, 6:30 pm. Board officers were elected at the meeting as follows: Chair: Ross Hiner; Vice-Chair: Lars Kasch; Secretary: Sarah Mongue; Treasurer: Gail Morris. The next NTNA meeting will be held Tuesday, January 16, 2024, 6:30 pm. See website for meeting details. Going forward NTNA meetings will be held during odd months (Jan, March, etc.).
Please check our neighborhood calendar for upcoming events at, which also includes community events in the Portland Metropolitan area.

Richmond Neighborhood Association
By Allen Field

The Richmond Neighborhood Association (RNA) held its monthly meeting on November 13. Meetings are the second Monday of the month, 7-9 pm, except January, held in-person at Central Christian Church, 1844 SE Cesar Chavez Blvd. People can also participate via Zoom; the link to pre-register for Zoom is on the agenda, which is posted to and the RNA Announce listserv. To be added to the listserv, email
Multnomah County DA Mike Schmidt gave a very informative presentation on the criminal justice system, where it has suffered recently and improvements made. Q&A followed.
Greg Bourget, Executive Director, Portland Clean Air ( gave a presentation for Cascadia Action on the ongoing efforts to monitor and curb industrial and diesel pollution in the Metro area.
We are short on delivery people to help distribute the quarterly Richmond News, which takes about 30 minutes per route four times a year. Contact if you would like to help.
The next RNA meeting is December 11. Everyone is welcome. Come and check out a meeting and learn about ways to get more involved in your community.

South Tabor Neighborhood Association
By Cathy Kudlick

The South Tabor Neighborhood Association (STNA) met in person at the All City Church on November 16. State Representative Khanh Pham (D-District 46 for Outer SE Portland) outlined transit and safety issues impacting our neighborhood, then addressed neighbors’ questions in a lively Q&A. Our second guest was Jennifer Koozer from TriMet, who updated us on the agency’s project to bring enhanced pedestrian crossings to SE Powell and Division streets, which is running years behind schedule.
For 2024, we’re planning to build on conversations such as these, as well as provide fun opportunities for neighbors to meet and connect.
Since we don’t meet in December, our next STNA Board meeting will be January 18, 2024. For the latest information, visit or follow us on Facebook.
And while you’re at it, if you consider South Tabor home, why not make joining the STNA your New Year’s resolution for 2024?! Happy holidays!

Sunnyside Neighborhood Association
By Gloria Jacobs

At the November General Meeting we had representatives from both Portland Police Bureau (PPB) precincts that serve Sunnyside. We learned that the Traffic Enforcement division is back, there are continuing staffing challenges, and the East Precinct’s Stolen Vehicle Operation has been very successful. SNA will get regular updates from PPB at General meetings going forward and hope to bring in other public safety agencies, such as Portland Street Response.
The renovation of the Belmont Library–planned for Fall 2024–will more than double the current size. There will be a new entrance, more bike parking and a 15-foot right-of-way. Check for updates and future public meeting dates.
We also heard from Cascadia Action about the fight for clean air in Portland. Cascadia Action is asking the SNA Board to sign on to over 10 letters drafted by other NAs and civic groups to fight those responsible for this pollution. The Board will vote at our December meeting, so please be in touch ( if you have opinions. PBOT installed a traffic diverter at SE Cesar Chavez Blvd. and SE Taylor St. This will prevent left-hand turns at this intersection—a leading cause of crashes. Signal call-boxes at both SE Taylor and Main streets will be upgraded this winter and PBOT will examine the light timings with an eye towards increasing the walk time at SE Taylor St.
Our fourth annual Winter Clothing Drive for our houseless neighbors will be Saturday, December 9 in the basement of the Sunnyside Methodist Church (SE 35th Ave. and Yamhill St.). Volunteers will collect donations 10 am–1 pm. We especially need pants, shirts, sweaters, coats, new underwear, socks, shoes, hats and gloves as well as sleeping bags, tents and other warm layers. If you are not able to drop off donations contact Diana Deumling at

Neighborhood Notes – December 2023

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top