New Day School at 1825 SE Clinton St. is in the midst of a fundraising campaign to raise $20,000 to complete the purchase and installation of solar panels, the final piece in their net zero progress. The fundraiser continues through December 17. 

The school began a major renovation project in June 2018, on two of its three buildings with the dual purpose of becoming more safe and resilient during seismic events, as well as capitalizing on renewable and sustainable upgrades. 

New Day has received grants and incentives that will cover 85% of the solar panel costs with the fundraiser covering the remaining 15%. Any funds in excess of $20,000 will be used towards the purchase of two batteries in order to store and distribute the building’s solar power in case of a PGE grid failure. 

Find out more at newdayschool.org.