February’s all-ages free event returns for its fifth year with over 200,000 expected during the three-day Portland Winter Light Festival. It’s an outdoor winter event that transforms, illuminates and animates Portland’s nighttime urban landscape at sights across the city.
The Festival is an annual program of the Willamette Light Brigade whose mission it is to build community by bringing art and technology to audiences while invigorating the city in the winter.
Over 100 individual artists use varied media including video projection mapping, fire sculpture and live performance following the curatorial theme, Into the Dreamscape.
Special highlights include:
- Live ice sculpture carving demonstrations on the banks of the Willamette River
- Complimentary cruises across the Willamette River on the Crystal Dolphin courtesy of the Portland Spirit
- A pop-up bar space in SE Portland called Glow Bar featuring artisan cocktails and dance music
- Return of interactive annual events including the Lantern Parade, Illuminated Bike Ride, and Glow Jam
- Entertainment expansion to two Silent Disco events, one inside of speakeasy pop-up nightlife destination Glow Bar
- Full STEM lecture series as Light Science Talks
- Temporary pop-up architecture installations by local design firms including immersive 2,500 square foot “light forest” by Henry V
Portland Winter Light Festival is Thursday, February 6 to Saturday, February 8, 6-11 pm daily. Full details, including performance schedules and artist bios available at pdxwlf.com.