St. Francis Church in inner SE has been a part of the city since 1876. The first Catholic church on the east side of the Willamette River, its present day structure was built in 1939 after a storm demolished the original 1881 building. The one acre park adjacent to it has been a fixture for forty years.
A Celebration of St. Francis Park, is planned for Sunday August 24, 4 to 8 pm in the park next to the building between Oak and Stark streets and the public is invited to enjoy displays showing the history of this landmark institution, the opportunity to share stories and memories, plenty of live music, good food and more. The music schedule features Kate Power and Steve Einhorn at 4 pm; The Begonias at 5; Tim Acott and Friends at 6 and Brian Cutean at 7.
The church can be reached at 503. 232.5880.www.stfranpdx.catholicweb.com